These two are from the first crop of our step-over apple trees. The front one is an Egremont Russet and the back one a Charles Ross. They are whoppers! The russet weighs 11 oz and the Ross 12 oz. It takes 2 of us to eat an apple. The crop isn't huge - about 6 on the Charles Ross and 9 on the Russet but they have proved to be a useful crop for us. The Ross is a dual purpose so if we get sick of eating them we can cook some. Unlikely though.
Today we are having very high winds - I'm unlikely to venture down to the plot. We are also having our first rain for about 6 weeks. Not a very good effort though. It will hardly lay the dust here. I am hoping for a good soaking in the next few days so I can get my Japanese onions in. Not much point in shoving them into the dust and hoping!

4 comments:
Those are some apples! My Egremont Russet has lots of smallish apples. The Charles Ross has good sized ones, but they're not huge. I'm not so keen, it's a bit bland. We've just eaten our way through the James Grieve, which had a lovely crop this year.
I love the taste of russet apples. I have a 3-fruit family tree and managed one apple on one russet branch, it was wonderful! We still haven't had any rain here yet, the ground is like concrete!
I'm sure if you and Himself struggle to finish an apple, the Rock Chicks will ensure nothing is wasted.
Yum. The really huge apples have me wondering about dipping them in caramel -- for some reason it's only the monsters I want to gussy up. We've enjoyed our first crop greatly.
Post a Comment