VEGETABLE HEAVEN

Growing and eating lovely food. Trying something different. Saving seeds, breeding my own varieties. Gardening isn't dull!



Friday, 9 January 2009

The season begins!

My first sowing of the season - onions. Sprinkled onto compost I brought indoors yesterday to warm it up a bit and just lightly covered with more of the same. The poly bag will keep the moisture in and in a few days I should see the first shoots peeping through. I always use my kitchen windowsill as a propagator. The room is a steady temperature and there's good light. Wonder what'll be next? Chillies probably, in a few weeks.


Here are my Heritage Seed Library choices for this year. I went heavy on peas and beans last year - and still have seed for them all (and others I've got from swaps) so I decided to get a tomato, a couple of peppers and the rest kale, chard and cabbage. We are a household fond of our greens. Getting the drift, HSL sent me another kale for my lucky dip! The tomato is Euromoney - not heard of or tried before but according to the catalogue "produces large, red/orange, firm and flavoursome tomatoes in abundance." Sounds alright to me. At the current rate of exchange, euromoney is marginally better value than pounds anyway!
The peppers are Nardello and Trifetti and I they will be next onto the windowsill/propagator, followed in late Feb/early March by tomatoes. Gets exciting, this time of year.

2 comments:

BilboWaggins said...

The small part of my brain that remembers being a gardener (as opposed to a pretend lumberjack) vaguely remembers hearing good things about Euromoney.

I have just about resigned myself to this year being about removing more trees and their roots, preparing soil properly (on the basis that I will only do it once) and therefore not doing any 'real' gardening, I shall have to enjoy vicarious seed-sewing with you!

huggles from Bilbo

Matron said...

Oh yes! so exciting to get your first seeds of the year up and running!