Still getting achochas from the allotment fence. I must have picked about 20 lb of them so far and they are still swelling and growing. Not for much longer I suspect. We haven't had a frost here yet but it's forecast for this week. As the pods are quite juicy I think they'll just go slimy after a frost and that will be the end of them. More incentive to go and check frequently so you don't lose a good bagful! the Swiss Chard is still coming too. It hasn't been bothered by the pigeons or the caterpillars - I shall grow much more of this next year. I know it's a bit acidic for some people but I find it delicious.
I haven't even tried the Jerusalem artichokes or the Parsnips yet. Still picking beans for drying too.

8 comments:
Lovely picture - so what will you make with them ?
I do enjoy your blog and would LOVE to have an allotment but sadly there is a 7 year waiting list where I am, which is pathetic!
Charlotte
Those rosehips look wonderful (she says thinking greedily of the Rosehip Syrup I was given as a kid to "ward off winter colds")
Just found your blog - how interesting, I will be returning
Jose
Hi Jose, welcome to my blog! Glad you like it. I'm a bit further north than you - in Yorkshire.
Bilbo and Charlotte, I'm making a jelly with these - it's in the jelly bag as we speak. I made it with half and half rosehips and cooking apples. With just rosehips the jelly is a wonderful colour but a bit astringent. It's good with meat and cheese but the mixed jelly is a little more versatile. You can use it with savouries but it will go nicely on toast or a scone too. And Bilbo, you can put a tablepoon in a mug and add hot water which tastes like the old rosehip syrup. It's not hard to make the syrup but it's less useful I think.
Lovely haul of rosehips Flummery, I'm going out soon to collect some meeself but mine will most likely go into making wine although, I did "gain" some cracking bramley apples when I was at my Mum's so perhaps a bit of both if I can collect enough hips.
I used to use a lot in wine Clare, but you don't need to many for a drop or two of jelly!
I found it made a lovely 'dry sherry' style of wine. Excellent aperitif!
I have to know. What do achochas taste like. They certainly are interesting to look at.
To be honest, they don't really taste of much at all. But then, neither do courgettes. I like to cook them in a little chilli oil or garlic butter (when they taste of chilli or garlic!) but I mainly serve them for their interest value. They always get friends talking. They are pleasant and are certainly one of your 5 portions a day (British Government recommendation for health) but you wouldn't go far to buy one. I'm still going to grow them next year though!
Post a Comment