VEGETABLE HEAVEN

Growing and eating lovely food. Trying something different. Saving seeds, breeding my own varieties. Gardening isn't dull!



Tuesday, 28 October 2008

A kitchen day


I finally decided on a half and half mix of rosehips and Bramley apples for this gorgeous jelly. I used 3lb of fruit, with enough water that you could just see it when you poured it on the fruit (apples roughly chopped - peel and core intact). When the fruit was well stewed I strained it through the jelly bag. By this morning I had a pint, so I added a pound of sugar and boiled to the setting point. It only made 3 small jars but the flavour is so concentrated it's really lovely. I think it's a good way to deal with rosehips as the jelly bag strains out the evil little hairs. (We used to call rosehips 'itchy-backs'. You removed the seeds and hairs from the centre and put them down each other's back for the worst kind of itching powder. Nasty little beasts, children!)



How to deal with a glut of achochas? Well, I've put lots, halved and de-seeded, in the freezer, but after making a batch of apple and rhubarb chutney this morning, I decided to devise a chutney made from achochas and green tomatoes.

1 lb of onions were finely chopped and stewed with a couple of chopped, de-seeded chillies for 10 mins in a quarter pint of pickling vinegar (I used Sarson's ready spiced.) 1lb of green tomatoes were skinned and chopped, and 1 lb of achochas halved, de-seeded and also finely chopped. I added about 10 oz brown sugar, another quarter pint vinegar, half a pound of chopped apple and about 5 oz raisins. These amounts can be varied quite a bit - use more or less but keep the proportions of fluid and fruits/veg the same. Cook till it takes on the consistency of jam and darkens. Keep and eye on it and stir it regularly. If it gets thick but the veg are still crunchy add a little more spiced vinegar. The fruit must be well cooked. It depends on the stage of ripeness of your achochas and tomatoes. I always think jam and chutney making is an art rather than a science. Alchemy even! Seal into hot jars. Tastes good now but I know from experience that another couple of months will see it taste much better. I LOVE the smell of boiling vinegar!

Also made a loaf of mixed seed and grain bread (Allinsons) - a lovely texture and flavour. Just off to make a vegetable curry for tea. No prizes for guessing that it will contain achochas!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just stumbled onto your blog from somewhere, and must ask, what is Achocha? I am a gardener from the states (Maine) and love my veggies!

Ali

Kath said...

Hello henbogle and welcome! Achocha is a South American vine with very curly tendrils which produces fruits like a small gourd. They don't taste of very much to be honest - but then neither do courgettes (zuchinni) and they are popular. It's my first year growing them and they have been very productive. It's one of those things sometimes billed as 'the lost crop of the Incas' - yes, like quinoa!

Matron said...

I've never had a 'glut of achochas' and come to think of it I've never grown them either. What an unusual dilemma to have. I too have a kitchen which smells of spiced vinegar. I made some Christmas spiced chutney with dried cranberries.