VEGETABLE HEAVEN

Growing and eating lovely food. Trying something different. Saving seeds, breeding my own varieties. Gardening isn't dull!



Sunday, 19 October 2008

Food for free!


Not the clearest jelly I've ever made (I probably need a new jelly bag) but the crab apples and brambles we collected recently have ended up in the jam pan. The jelly glows like garnets - and it tastes fantastic too!

9 comments:

sewali said...

Looks gorgeous, just a few shades darker than crab apples by themselves. Very pretty!

Kath said...

These apples were green Ali - I should probably call them wild apples. Hedgerow gleanings!

Matron said...

I just love making crabapple jelly. Apparently if you squeeze the jelly bag too much you get cloudy jam... but it tastes better!

Kath said...

I didn't squeeze it honest! I suspect it has a tiny leak!

Celia Hart said...

What a gorgeous colour! I can just taste it with some roast Gloucester Old Spot pork. And it's also good for sticking the marzipan on the Christmas cake!

Fabulous!
Celia

Kath said...

I love it on a plain scone too!

Aim said...

Hmmm, what are brambles? Is that rose hips? This is lovely jelly....

Kath said...

Brambles is the local name for blackberries (Rubus). Back home in Manchester we called them blackberries but I reckon I'm becoming absorbed - after 38 years I'm nearly a local now!

Matron said...

Would love to obtain some of your black cherry tomato seeds please? Would you like to swap? I have some tomato seeds from Quebec, and from the Great Wall of China! Please contact me via email Ahhmatron@aol.com