VEGETABLE HEAVEN

Growing and eating lovely food. Trying something different. Saving seeds, breeding my own varieties. Gardening isn't dull!



Sunday, 18 May 2008

Filling the spaces

There are 2 frames protecting brassicas from the pigeons - one is to the left, out of shot, and contains red cabbages. This one has Black Tuscany kale in. All the beans except the yin-yang (they went in a little later) have been put out as have the outdoor tomatoes. This is a little earlier than I usually do but we will be away for a few days shortly and it's less for my sister to water at home. The plot is well sheltered so I should get away with it.



I have a wigwam already in place for the yin-yang beans and a space the size of another netting frame for my red kale and purple brussels sprouts. I shall have to put the broccoli at home but there's just a gap big enough where the Jerusalem artichokes came out. I expect I will have to dig this another couple of times though - JAs are notoriously difficult to shift - they sprout from the smallest bit.



My first wigwam on the allotment was for the Lancashire Lad purple podded peas. As you can see they are doing really well. Half way up the pea frame already! I'm just waiting for the gorgeous bi-coloured pea flowers which I expect will cause some discussion on the plot. As the water tank is at the end of mine, everyone will see them.


The big A shaped frame is planted up with borlotti beans. These are a really useful crop as they can be picked and eaten as a snap bean - they are green splashed with red so very attractive - or they can be left to mature for shelling beans, or allowed to dry for winter use. I'm hoping for great things from these, hence the large quantity!


The small frame to the left of Lancashire Lad has Ruth Bible climbing beans. These are grown in the USA but I've been unable to find out if Ruth Bible was a real woman, or if it's a reference to Ruth from the bible (wherever you go, I will go.)

The gaps alongside the wigwams will be planted up with squashes and/or courgettes and/or more outdoor toms. I can't make my mind up yet! Wonder which I'll plant?

I emptied the second bucket of new potatoes from the greenhouse today - Lady Chrystl and 1 lb 11 oz! Result! They are for tea, with another boiling of rhubarb for a crumble for pud.

4 comments:

BilboWaggins said...

It is all looking wonderful, hope you had a lovely tea with those potatoes. hugs from Bilbo

dee said...

Lovely blog you have. Hope its ok have linked you :0)

Sewing Granny said...

Love those potatoes - you are making me want to grow some - bet they tasted delicious!

Kath said...

Hi all, yes the spuds WERE gorgeous.

Hello Dee - I've just looked at your blog too. Nice to compare isn't it? I shall link to yours too.