VEGETABLE HEAVEN

Growing and eating lovely food. Trying something different. Saving seeds, breeding my own varieties. Gardening isn't dull!



Monday, 5 May 2008

Away from it all



Spot the early purple orchid! We went for a Bank Holiday Monday ride to the Wolds and found a perfect bluebell wood, with primroses, wood anemones, wild garlic, wood avens and the occasional early purple orchid in amongst the bluebells. There wasn't a soul around. The absolute hat was put on the day when my first Red Kite soared over the valley. We watched it for 10 minutes and it didn't need to flap its wings once. It rode higher and higher in wide circles steering with its great wedge of a tail. Brilliant.

On the way home we stopped at a nursery so I could buy more canes for all my new beans and peas.

In the afternoon I cut what little grass we still have (including a bit of Corporation Grass - I dug about 5ft of that up to make a border in front of the garden wall so morally I should take responsibility for the grass too!) then I planted out the Crimson Flowered broad beans in the cutting patch by the front drive. I grasped the nettle (almost literally) and weeded the border snitched from the Council during which I had to dig out a couple of bird-sown brambles, one of which had rooted amongst the roots of a rose. It's a beautiful warm day - things are positively leaping out of the ground.

2 comments:

sewali said...

Wow Mrs Flum, where do you find the time for everything???? You're right about things leaping out the ground now, sadly most of them are nettles or goosegrass in my garden! I must get some weeding done ...

Kath said...

I don't do housework! (Or at least, only when I can't find stuff or have run out of clean clothes!)