The two sowings of my own breeds of cherry tomatoes made on January 9th have produced some sturdy little plants. They are now moved into individual pots and are growing on. They are on the dining room windowsill but I bring them into the room at night - even between a double glazed window and a cutrain the temperature can drop lower than tomatoes like.
The chillies sown at the same time have not show - I've sown a second lot - I'm a beggar for keeping old seed!

10 comments:
They are looking great although I bet they're not too impressed with the amount of white stuff you have outside today, but then, neither are your chooks by the sound of it!
huggles from Bag End.
How will you stop them from becoming leggy?
I've resisted sowing seed yet - although I'm very keen to get started on the tomatoes and chillies. Last year, I kept my tomatoes and chillies indoors and they were eaten by fungus gnats. This year I'm going to wait until they can spend part of the day in a greenhouse. Well done for getting going!
Legginess - each time I repot I put them deeper. They root from the stem of course, so they are quite happy with this.
It looks a good sturdy plant. I can't start mine indoors yet as I just can't give them enough light. I'll hang on a while yet until they can be sown in the greenhouse.
I haven't had the nerve to plant any seeds yet. I must get on with the chillis at least. Lovely tomatoes you have there, it lifts the spirit to see the season getting underway at last.
What a lovely blog! Your tomatoes are looking fine.
I sowed stacks in Autumn (lupin, Kale de Toscana, Dianthus, Geum, Sweet Rocket, Flos Jovis and a million sweet pea) and managed to over winter it all in my 10 x 8 greenhouse (with very high shelving) Because it was so mild I was lucky this year and the bubble wrap was warm enough but mid Jan till now I've needed my paraffin heater most nights.
http://archers-at-the-larches.blogspot.com/2011/11/bountiful-land.html
Thanks for your comments and sorry to have been so long modertaing them. My Mum died (aged 90) last week so I have been busy with arrangments. Funeral next Friday.
Nice tom! Good luck with the second pepper sowing.
Good luck on those tomatoes. Hope they grow fine with your care. Tomatoes are rich in lycopene which help protect the heart, reduce cancer risk, and lowers cholesterol. It can be use in a lot of recipes and sandwiches too. I didn’t like them at first but they’re ok now! Great Blog! Thank you for sharing.
Post a Comment