Yesterday, January 9th, I sowed my first seeds of the year. I have a pot containing 5 or 6 chillies - variety Cayenne - a favourite of mine. I know how hot they are and I can usually judge how many to add to a dish to give my preferred degree of heat.
I have also sown 3 each of the tomatoes I crossed or selected myself. I have Caitlin which is a cross between Sungold and Tiger Tom and is a red cherry tomato, and Eleanor which is a Sungold selection going back several years and is a small oval yellow/orange tomato.
I also have a cutting of an Eleanor from 2 years back. I kept a cutting going all last winter and produced 2 new cutting in March, from which I was harvesting ripe fruit on the last day of May 2011. I hope to do the same this year! I took another cutting in autumn so the same plant is going strong.
Watering,Walking and Waiting for Rain
16 hours ago

7 comments:
Wow you're off to an early start!
You're late {giggle}, you did this a whole three days earlier in 2011! Best of luck with these, one day I might be so organised . . .
That's me Bilbo - the late Mrs VH!
Good luck with the early sowing VH, I always get tempted especially this year as it has been such a mild winter. But today has seen it get a lot colder, so as I didn't get a heated propagator for Christmas, I will hold back.
Isn't it wonderful to get the season off to an early start! Chillis do appreciate the extra few weeks.
I'll hold off sowing any tomatoes yet as they get leggy, I have nowhere warm to grow them only windowsills and it just isn't light enough. I'm looking forward to trying Eleanor this year, and so's my daughter, Eleanor.
The toms are through and looking good. They do get a bit leggy but when the true leaves show I shal plant them deeply.
Chillies stil hiding! They generally take 3 weeks or so.
Post a Comment