VEGETABLE HEAVEN

Growing and eating lovely food. Trying something different. Saving seeds, breeding my own varieties. Gardening isn't dull!



Sunday, 17 July 2011

What a week!

The village holds a summer 'Festival' week in mid July and the start of the festivities this year was a Scarecrow Festival in the village church, all on a biblical theme. Our 'In Bloom' group chose to make Adam and Eve (on the basis the story is set in a garden). Looking at the pair, he'd have to be the only man in the world and she'd have to be the only woman before they could bring themselves to procreate in my opinion. They look more like E.T. than anyone I know.




Tuesday was the day of the Summer Judging for Yorkshire in Bloom. We took the judges round the village in the above mode of transport, courtesy of one of our Parish Councillors who is sadly moving away very soon, so it will be a one-off. It was decorated with bunches of garden flowers to keep up the 'In Bloom' theme.



One of our judges said that they do appreciate how much we have to do in the few days prior to the visit. I replied that I hadn't expected it to include polishing a horse's bum! He had disco glitter sprayed on to catch the light when the sun came out!




Later in the week there was a village wedding so some of us from the group joined the usual Flower Arrangers to decorate the church. This is a detail from the Floral Archway, my usual job, and my contribution to the festivities is the greeny-yellow umbellifer in the above grouping. It's the flowers of parsley - a gorgeous thing for flower arranging and one of the triumphs of the Untidy Gardener!




Here's the arch in all its glory. I never tire of doing these. Each one is different and my friend who cuts the flowers to the right length for me to plonk in, always says that this is our best one. I suspect we just forget what the last was like by the time the next wedding comes around!




Saturday was the Village Show and our group sold bird-boxes, plants, tussie-mussies (medieval nosegays of herbs and scented flowers - the alternative to a bath in those days I suspect) and lavender bags. The weather was awful - drenching rain all day. Nevertheless we did raise a useful sum towards our planting costs.


Today I am having a day off (removing the last of the flowering parsley, visiting 2 aged parents, potting up some plants) and catching up with my blog.

7 comments:

Jo said...

It looks like you've had a busy week. What a lovely way to transport the judges round the village, I'm sure they'll appreciate all the effort which has been made for their visit. You've created another lovely arch, it looks so pretty and I'm sure the bride and groom were delighted with it. Sorry to hear that the weather didn't cooperate for your village show but glad to hear you still managed to raise some funds towards your planting costs. Enjoy the rest of the weekend.

sewali said...

I love the floral arch, it's a triumph! You certainly have had a lot on, you deserve a day off!

QuiltSue said...

I should think you need more than one day off after all that. The floral arch looks great, was that there when you took the judges around in that lovely cart?

Kath said...

Sadly not Sue, but they have seen photos of a previous one.

BilboWaggins said...

Strewth, what a week (makes a change for you to be overdoing it, not me!). I agree that this might be your best arch yet - love the poppy seed heads.

flowerlady said...

Absolutley love the flower arch,we also hold a 2 day flower festival the same weekend,the weather was a bit kinder for us.I am no flower arranger but open my garden instead as my way of contribution,Glad to hear you are having a well desreved rest.Have only just started blogging and picked yours up from daughterofthesoil.Love yours,I have just started this year to grow different tomatoes,purple ukrain and crystal plum along with 3 bog standard ones.I also keep chickens-only since mothers day so all new territory for me.Keep up the good work

Kath said...

Welcome to my blog Flowerlady - thanks for visiting.