VEGETABLE HEAVEN

Growing and eating lovely food. Trying something different. Saving seeds, breeding my own varieties. Gardening isn't dull!



Thursday, 21 July 2011

Lavender recipes

No pics for this as we've already eaten them!

Lavender lemon drizzle cake

4 oz butter/marge
6 oz caster sugar
3 eggs
8 oz self raising flour
pinch salt
2 big lemons
icing sugar
dried lavender

The night before - take the zest from one lemon and squeeze the juice from both lemons. Soak a couple of teaspoons of lavender and the zest in the overnight. Strain off and discard zest and lavender.

Line a deep sided 8" cake tin or a 2lb loaf tin. Set oven to 160 C.

Beat butter and sugar till soft.
Add eggs one at a time, beating well between additions.
Measure out 2 fl oz of the juice.
Sift the flour and salt together and fold into butter/egg mixture in alternate batches with the measured juice, adding about a third at a time and mixing lightly but thoroughly.
Put into tin and bake for about 55 - 60 mins until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean. Remove from oven and allow to cool in tin

When still warm, make a drizzle icing with icing sugar and remaining lavender-infused juice. Drizzle over cake. If you have a few more dried buds of lavender you can sprinkle them over the top.


Lavender scones

Use your favourite scone recipe (I like cream of tartar and baking powder with plain flour but a lot of people use SR.)

Add a little under a teaspoon of dried lavender to the mixture for 1lb of flour. Again, two or three dried buds on top add to the look of the thing.

I also like lavender with roast lamb instead of rosemary.

7 comments:

Hazel said...

Yum yum!

As it happens, I went past Yorkshire Lavender a couple of weeks ago, Flum, and I thought of you.

Would have stopped but was pushed for time - lunch at the best fish & chip shop ever was calling me! (Walkers up the road a bit in East Ayton, since you ask - although feel free to disagree!)

flowerlady said...

Thanks for the lavender recipes,I recently tried some lavender cookies but none of us could really taste the lavender.It was not dried for long do you let your lavender really dry before using it in cooking?

Galloping Gourmet's Creations said...

I adore lavender and we've got loads in the garden, I love to use it for cooking and these recipes sound really lovely. I keep meaning to do an ice cream which uses lavender in but haven't had the time recently to try it. You say 'dried lavender', how do you dry your lavender, just hang it up to dry? GG

Jo said...

Interesting recipes. I've never tried anything with lavender in, I would imagine it tastes quite flowery.

Kath said...

You can buy dried lavender but it's easy to dry your own. You need it in bud though, so probably it's too late for this year. I bunch it up and hang it head downward - usually in the garage. The car is outside in the summer and the lavender keeps dry in there. When it's very dry - several weeks - rub the buds off and store in poly bags. If it's not really dry it will go mouldy.

BilboWaggins said...

Oh yum. Lavender isn't easy to grow here - ground generally too wet during the winter and pots freeze solid.

Sue Garrett said...

I've never cooked with lavender - maybe I should nibble on a flower to see if I like the taste.