VEGETABLE HEAVEN

Growing and eating lovely food. Trying something different. Saving seeds, breeding my own varieties. Gardening isn't dull!



Wednesday, 23 March 2011

Planting out

Just on the edge of the parsley bed (I like parsley!) I have planted the F1 hyrbids from last year's crossing. I crossed Carutthers' Purple Podded with Magnum Bonum. (I wonder if I can get Magnum Purpureum - a sweet eating pea with a purple pod? I'll never know if I don't try!)
Straight after the photo was taken I surrounded the wigwam with fine netting - I've only got these 8 peas so I can't afford to feed the pigeons with them!



This is how the loo roll middles came out of the modules - pea at the top, root down to the bottom. The went into the ground well down so that no cardboard stuck above the soil. This ensure the moisture isn't wicked up into the cardboard when I want it at my pea roots.


These are some of the first batch of my Purple Mangetout F3 plants. I've just soaked another 32. I had to rogue out 10 that were showing no purple anywhere - the chickens loved them! When I've got the second lot growing well enough to plant out I ought to be able to save enough seed from anything that comes up as a purple mangetout so I can have another roguing put session next year. I'm hoping that in 2013 I shall have my true breeding purple mangeout. I can hope anyway!

6 comments:

Sue Garrett said...

It'll be exciting waitibng to find out what happens.

Jo said...

It's definitely been planting out weather over the last few days, though I'm only just at the sowing stage yet.

Year Round Vegetable Gardener said...

It's so much fun to experiment in the garden!! Love your loo rolls - very clever!!

Mal's Allotment said...

Kelvedon Wonder sowed. Petit Pois and Mange Tout to follow No mould in sight. I think you've nailed it, Kath. Thanks!

Kath said...

A bit of air flow works wonders!

BilboWaggins said...

Those peas look excellent - very strong and sturdy. Haven't even sown mine yet, that's a job for next week.