VEGETABLE HEAVEN

Growing and eating lovely food. Trying something different. Saving seeds, breeding my own varieties. Gardening isn't dull!



Sunday, 6 March 2011

New shoots

The purple mangetout seeds are starting to show through and even in this picture you can see that some are showing purple around the leaf margin. Good sign! There will be some that are entirely green and some will have purple at the leaf axils which won't be visible for a while yet. Any showing the purple colouration from anthocyanin will be grown on. Those that don't, well, chickens love pea vines!

8 comments:

organic Slice of Life said...

they are looking good. good luck with them.

BilboWaggins said...

They look great but you are being renamed "Evil Temptress" in this house!

There you go sowing seeds all over the place and the temp. in my greenhouse is still falling below zero every night ... it is taking all my resolve not to get the seed compost out.

meemsnyc said...

Look at those lovely shoots.

Jo said...

Exciting. Hope there's plenty of purple ones.

Kath said...

My greenhouse is also going below zero Bilbo. I'm only sowing seeds that can cope!

Paul and Melanie said...

Looking good, although you're making me think about doing mangetout now and I'd pretty much decided not to this year... lol perhaps I'll give in.... ;)

Daniel Chapman said...

I am going to try out some purple peas this year. Won't be long and I'll be sowing them here in the great white north :-)

Matron said...

Oh Spring really is just around the corner now!