VEGETABLE HEAVEN

Growing and eating lovely food. Trying something different. Saving seeds, breeding my own varieties. Gardening isn't dull!



Tuesday, 21 April 2009

The 'potatoes from true seed' experiment.


Not knowing how ripe my seed had been or how good germination would be, I gave the half sized seed tray a good sprinkling - brilliant germination and I'm over-run with little potato plants! I decided to pot up 6, which will eventually go one to a tomato tub.


I've planted them up to the top leaves, as though earthing up. They have a 3" pot each and when they are well grown and have plenty of root I'll give them their own big pot. The intention is to try one tuber from each initially and then any that show promise will have a few tubers kept in the fridge salad drawer till next spring. Each should be different. I do find this sort of thing exciting!



In the last 2 days my True Red Cranberry Pole Beans have begun to break through. I have also sown some Bird's Egg and some Cherokee Trail of Tears but I now feel the urge to get more beans on the go. I do think you get good value from beans as you can eat them fresh, shelly or dry.

8 comments:

Celia Hart said...

I agree - climbing beans are very good value. I'm wondering where to put all the wigwams - have already got 10 varieties of peas on the go!

I'm growing Bird's Egg this year too! I think I choose varieties by their names!

good luck with the potato seedlings - how interesting.

Have you ever grown Soya Beans? I thought I give them a try this year.

Celia

Kath said...

I haven't tried soya beans Celia. I beleive Ustie is the variety recommended for British weather conditions but the only people I know who have tried it have been very disappointed by the results.

Still, you can have good years and bad years for anything. Are you going to try?

Hazel said...

I can heartily endorse the bird's egg beans, girls - pretty beans to play with, and they have a lovely texture when cooked.

I've not been following the potato seeds thread - so I haven't got the background on your potato seed, but I'm fascinated how they'll turn out too!

Matron said...

What a fascinating experiment! Please keep us updated, I'd love to hear about this.

Daniel Chapman said...

It will be fun to watch the seeded potatoes grow this year. If I have more seed pods this year I will definitely save them this time.

Beans are great vegetables to grow. It is amazing the production you can get out of even 60cm of pole beans.

BilboWaggins said...

I didn't even know you could do this! Will be watching closely and thinking of next year when I will have soil ready for early new potatoes!

Garden Girl said...

My Cherokees (from your surplus, thank you) are in pots waiting for a suitable home in the garden. 100% germination, so obviously good seed! I have so many peas and beans planted that I feel like a legume version of the old woman in the shoe! A bit overwhelming, but a good feeling when I think about the coming months!

Sewing Granny said...

Isn't it exciting when things grow..good luck with the seedling.