Lots of peas are hardening off and almost ready to be planted out. Here I have Carruthers' Purple Podded, Magnum Bonum, Veitch's Western Express and the unpronouncable one - Ezetha's Krombek Blauwschok - almost certainly to be referred to hereafter simply as Krombek!
These tomatoes, in 5" pots, are from my earliest sowing in mid February. Those on the right are the potato-leafed Brandywine - a beafsteak type that I thought would benefit from a longer season. The others are my hyrbid - cross between a heritage and an F1 and looking fairly sturdy. There's a second sowing of these, just about 3" high at the moment, also looking healthy.

The aubergines are putting on a bit more growth too. I hope to get some better fruits from these if we have a half decent season. They also were February sowings so I hope they'll have enough ripening time this summer.
And last but by no means least, the new inhabitants of the garden, tucked in their little house and looking like members of a ladies' knitting circle!


4 comments:
Your veg look grand! Streets ahead of mine - but I'm getting there ;-)
And the gorgeous girls in their palace - the look lovely! I wonder what they're dicussing?
Celia
Amazing! we have blogged about the same things on the same day! Welcome to the hens! Do we have names yet? What breed are they?
That is one fine looking chicken coop! All your crops are looking great. So what are the advantages of using the rootrainer pots? I am thinking about order them next season for the peas & broad beans.
Their names are Ruby, Garnet, Amber and Topaz - the Rock Chicks! (I know amber is a resin not a rock but it's Artistic License!) These are all precious or semi-precious stones in the range of colours that are found in these chickens' feathers. They are hybrids - basic Little Red Hens.
I use root trainers for any crop that needs a long root run and that I will transplant, Dan. As you say, they are particularly useful for peas and beans. If you grow sweet peas, they will benefit too.
Post a Comment