VEGETABLE HEAVEN

Growing and eating lovely food. Trying something different. Saving seeds, breeding my own varieties. Gardening isn't dull!



Monday, 29 December 2008

When winter comes ...

can spring be far behind?

Spring bulbs are already showing - hope for things to come. I also have a few perennials to plant - a variegated Brunnera - I have the plain leaved one which has gorgeous blue forget-me-not type flowers from April/May and onwards for months. This one, Jack Frost, has a variegated edge to the leaf and looks fabulous (in the nursery-man's picture!) I also have the deep red Astrantia rubra and a perennial Rudbeckia. I grew the annual Rudbeckia this year - and have enough seeds for more next year - but I fancied the perennial 'goldsturm'. I tagged these three on to an order for a damson tree for my daughter and son-in-law for Christmas and I'm very glad I did. They will be going into my flower-arranging border by the front path.
It's good to have a few things to look forward to in the strange non-days between Christmas and New Year,

2 comments:

BilboWaggins said...

We have bulb tips showing here too - mad things, don't they know it is minus-something-or-other out there?

Anonymous said...

Im off to check in our postage stamp of a garden for signs of life. Im optimistic!