VEGETABLE HEAVEN

Growing and eating lovely food. Trying something different. Saving seeds, breeding my own varieties. Gardening isn't dull!



Tuesday, 10 June 2008

Sungold Selection update



Further furtling in the greenhouse border has unearthed 7 more F2 seedlings. Never has the border been so intensively and carefully weeded! I have the material here for my first tasting session - at a guess around the end of August. They'll only be allowed to set a single truss as I only need them for evaluation purposes. From my reading, the orange colour is dominant, so I may well have many orange offspring. However, I suspect several chromosomes are involved in the balance of flavours so I will try for a second sowing to give me a wider sample when my first berry ripens - probably early July - I have some set already - even on the outdoor ones.

Patience isn't my middle name - but that's what is required in shed-loads for plant selection.

5 comments:

BilboWaggins said...

The one in the square pot looks like a healthy little chap. All this chromosome business is getting complicated and my poor brain is only just hanging on, but if you can get away from having to buy F1 seed every year just to get the tomato you want then please put me in the Q for the first lot of seeds you sell! hugs, Bilbo

Kath said...

But you aren't allowed to sell seeds Bilbo. Not unless you register the seed at £2000 a pop and pay an annual fee of something like £300 to maintain it on the list. Hence the popularity of the Heritage Seed Library and various seed swapping groups. However, you CAN exchange them for pieces of interesting fabric! So I owe you one already!

Rebsie Fairholm said...

This is a great idea! I've been doing something similar with some hybrid tomatoes I got from Marks & Spencers, but the only trouble was I ended up with so many beautiful and interesting variations I ended up wanting to grow ALL of them!

Kath said...

So many plants, so little soil, Rebsie!

We need a smallholding each. And staff!

BilboWaggins said...

Swapping seed for fabric - works for me! Not quite in your league but I'm off to one of our neighbours later to beg she saves me some seed pods from the most amazing Lupin in her front garden - it is a deep dark burgundy and quite beautiful.