VEGETABLE HEAVEN

Growing and eating lovely food. Trying something different. Saving seeds, breeding my own varieties. Gardening isn't dull!



Saturday, 16 June 2012

Spuds and Roses



On Thursday our local Women's Institute had a competition for a rose.  I took in a fully opened flower of a favourite of mine, Gertrude Jekyll.  It has the most heavenly old fashioned rose scent and stands well in a vase.  I decided to be a devil though and enter another 'rose' - the one from my watering can! 


I made the effort though; I did put it in a vase!  I received 10 points out of 10 for Gertrude and, strangely enough, 8 for the can rose!  As soon as people found out it was mine, though, it was discounted as you can't enter twice in the same competition.  Shame, I say!


Last week we ate our first new potatoes.  I planted 3 seed potatoes of Arran Pilot in a big shrub tub under the greenhouse staging.  They grew and I gradually earthed them up, kept them frost free and well watered.  They were gorgeous.  I think it's going to be another month before we eat the ones from the open ground.  It's well worth getting a few in the greenhouse like this though.  You can't beat the flavour.

3 comments:

Sue Garrett said...

We'll have to try tipping out our potato sacks soon.

Love the watering can rose trick!

QuiltSue said...

Thanks for a good laugh! I love your story about the rose. Wonder if the rules will be changed by next year to say all entries must be from a living plant?

BilboWaggins said...

At least they disqualified the watering can rose and not GJ (who is blooming at Bag End at present and the smell is divine, one of my favourites too).