VEGETABLE HEAVEN

Growing and eating lovely food. Trying something different. Saving seeds, breeding my own varieties. Gardening isn't dull!



Sunday, 23 October 2011

Autumn reds

Malus Red Sentinel. This is only its second year in the front garden. The blossom in spring is exquisite and these tiny red apples are a delight. They stay on the tree for months too. I could not possibly want crab apple jelly enough to strip these fruits from the tree.



Fuchsia Magelanica versicolour. The leaf is variegated and at this time of year it blushes almost as deeply as the petals. I love this plant.


Acer Palmatum. It is a bright apple green with a garnet tinge around the leaves in spring and summer but now it comes into is own giving us a pot of flame.

7 comments:

BilboWaggins said...

You're right, that crab apple is quite beautiful. I am glad I'm not the only one who leaves the fruit for the birds, like you I don't need crab apple jelly that badly.

sewali said...

Looking beautiful, I too want an Acer in the garden, just need to decide where to put it.

Kath said...

Mine's in a pot Ali so I can put it where I like!

Anonymous said...

Love the photos. You might be interested in my recent post about my crab apple tree. It is the Year of the Tree this year so I'm writing posts about my crab apple and how it changes through the seasons.

Daniel Chapman said...

Great reds! Tis the season.

Matron said...

I have the same dilemma with my crab apples. They are so vibrant and beautiful on the tree, it is nice to have some colour in the depths of Winter, and also to give the little dicky birds something to munch on!

Unknown said...

Autumnal Flames - gorgeous!