VEGETABLE HEAVEN

Growing and eating lovely food. Trying something different. Saving seeds, breeding my own varieties. Gardening isn't dull!



Friday, 17 June 2011

From the garden

Sweetpeas. The first bunch was picked a week ago but as we were going away for the weekend I took them to my Mum's. These were picked on Monday and are still going strong and still smell divine. I took a bunch to a friend's on Wednesday and there will have to be another picking soon! I saved the seed from my favourite of last year.




We've had strawberries every might for a week. Nowt wrong with that, I say! This bowl was full when I picked them but this is all that made it to the fridge for the next night. Fortunately we have friends coming tonight - guess what's for pud!



We've had several pickings of the wonderful Kent Blue mangetout peas - you can see from this picture how the flower ends up blue, though it starts pink and magenta. There are more ready to pick now. I love them and don't mind having theme very day in the season. I prefer to eat seasonal food and don't freeze much of my vegetables. We're still eating Spring Cabbage too.
It's a great time of year and it won't be long till we get runner beans - they are running up the poles like something's chasing them!





11 comments:

Martin and Amy said...

Three georgeous displays of fresh produce!!!

We only just planted our sweet peas out today. Our mange tout are only just flowering too.

Have a good weekend, enjoy those strawberries.

Martin

Sue Garrett said...

Our sweet pea plants are still tidgy! Maybe we need to sow or plant earlier!

Growth Spurts said...

Those sweetpeas are a really pretty colour x

Kath said...

The sweetpeas and mangtout were both sown in early Feb in the cold greenhouse. I loved the colour too, Growth Spurts - a very soft, gentle blue.

Matron said...

I have the Kent Blue peas this year too. Are they better as a mangetout? or are they OK as a shelling pea too?

Caro said...

Ah, I was just about to comment on your wonderfully early produce and then read that you have a greenhouse. Lucky you! It obviously makes a huge difference. Beautiful sweet peas, can't wait for mine to flower!

Kath said...

You probably could shell Kent Blue Matron but it seems a shame to throw away the pods which are very tender. I love them as mangetout.

sewali said...

Three of my favourites, enjoy!

Daniel Chapman said...

Nice harvest :)

BilboWaggins said...

Outstanding!

it is so cold here we had the woodburner on last night - middle of June - how insane is that?

Kath said...

Totally insane! I heard a forecast yesterday for a 'grass frost' later in the week.