VEGETABLE HEAVEN

Growing and eating lovely food. Trying something different. Saving seeds, breeding my own varieties. Gardening isn't dull!



Thursday, 19 August 2010

Back from holidays

We spent 6 days in Teesdale with our daughter, son-in-law and 2 grandchildren. The photo above is taken from the head of Teesdale, just as you cross over the watershed on the way into Alston. It struck me that it would make a painting or a quilt!

Babe in the wood! The family are into Geo-caching www.geocaching.com (a sort of treasure hunt activity) so grand-daughter number one and I spent a little time one evening making beaded bracelets to leave in caches - you need to leave something if you take something. One of our trips after caches took us into some woodland by a river and the walking was a little difficult with a push-chair. Fortunately, GD no. 2 had just fallen asleep so she stayed with Gran while the others went off hunting.

We walked along the river from Barnard Castle and came upon these strange sculptural seats which fascinated both the children. Pictures were required!
Sister looked after the Budgie and the Little Red Hens in our absence. Quite a job as Broody Amber was at it again!


And of course, there are 2 marrows at the allotment!

10 comments:

BilboWaggins said...

Welcome home kiddo, how has your Mum been whilst you were away?

QuiltSue said...

I'd never heard of geo-caching before, but it sounds like fun. Sounds like you probably had a far better time than your sister did with Amber.

Matron said...

I've heard of geocaching! My friend in Petunias Garden blog does it in the USA. Sounds like fun, I love a treasure hunt!

Kath said...

Mum has bounced back again, thanks for asking Bilbo. They made them tough in the early 1920s!

Amber was given 'time out' in the Naughty Field this morning for pecking the backs of the others' necks when greens were offered. After a few minutes of strutting around she was desperate to get back. I kept her out for about half an hour by which time she had calmed down again. At least she's no longer in the nest box all day - maybe the light at the end of the tunnel isn't an oncoming express train after all!

Jo said...

There's always the obligatory marrows at the allotment after a holiday. Geocaching sounds like fun, I've never heard of it before, I'll have to look in to it further as I'm sure it's something the kids would enjoy. You're grandaughters are lovely, I bet they got spoiled last week having Gran around.

Hazel said...

Nice to go away, but nice to be home again, isn't it - especially when you are greeted by those lovely marrows (ha ha! I'm sure I'm allowed to laugh, being in the same boat & all that).

Love the photo of Teesdale - mind you, I bet it's a bit bleak in winter.

kitsapFG said...

We used to do geocaching quite often but have not done one in a long while. It really is a fun way to get out an explore an area. We have been to some really unusual places as a result of a geocache pursuit.

Sounds like you had a good holiday. Welcome home!

Kath said...

It's bleak in Summer some days, Hazel!

Wendy said...

I think I've heard of geocaching. Sounds interesting. Beautiful grands! Love the little one all tuckered out.

Kath said...

Kitsap and Wendy - I'm not really sold on geocaching myself but for young families it really seems to get the young ones motivated to take a walk when they wouldn't otherwise!