
Below are the Goldensweet yellow mangetout peas sent to me by Rebsie (Daughter of the soil) Fairholm in a swap. They are the peas used by Mendel in his genetics work and seem to have a great deal of variation in their own genetic make up. I want them mainly to eat, of course, but if I have another pea in flower at the same time (highly likely as I'm growing about 6 varieties) I can't promise I won't get the scalpel and paintbrush out again. Plant breeding is a bit addictive!

I've just had a lovely phone conversation with my good friend Bilbo about her vegetable bed plans and she has pointed out that I don't use allotment photos much. Thinking about it, it's probably because by the time I've loaded the barrow with spade, fork, rake, scissors and string, anything I'm planting out, then I've completely forgotten about the camera! I promise to do better.

10 comments:
The peans are looking wonderful m'dear, now go and rest your back after all that hard work!
Thank you so much for a wonderful natter and BRILLIANT advice on the finer points of constructing raised beds.
When you are adding the camera to your barrow for future lottie visits, please make sure you add a nice hot flask of something tasty and a couple of choccy biccies!
Your pea trellises look very nice. I am just using pea brush again this year but I bet structures like yours a very lovely to look at.
Funny thing happened today, I went to check on my tomato seedlings and was surprised to see I have a tricotyledon as well. It is one of the tomatoes from 'wild boar farms', they breed some pretty strange tomatoes so maybe it happens more often with their varieties. I will post a picture on my blog either today or tomorrow and post a link to yours as well. I will let you know when I get it up.
Will do, Bilbo!
I never seem to find enough twiggy sticks for Peas, Dan - especially for the tall growing kind. I got these - and one other - for my birthday last year. They do look good in the garden, but I use tall canes and string for the allotment.
I must remember to post a picture of my tricotyledon aubergine. the first set of true leaves are alos in a group if three.
Pray tell me, what strange vegetable are you breeding - I know not of these peans?
I've also managed to get some golden mangetout peas from a heritage seed company in the USA - I will grow them with my purples and see what develops next year! I look forward to reading about your seed breeding experiments!
I have some Golden Sweet saved from previous year's HSL seeds. I'm trying to increase the crop so I can actually eat some rather than just save seed - but the snails love them more than any other variety ;-)
You're well ahead of me! I haven't sown any peas yet and the tomato seedlings are just coming through.
Here's to a great 'pea-summer'!
Celia
Fingers crossed but no snail activity yet Celia.
I'm at a similar stage with the Salmon Fowered peas. I started with half a dozen seeds. Look forward to eating some of these - at least, more than the handful we ate raw!
It WOULD be lovely to see you allotment but I get so excited about your live genetics shots that I'm perfectly happy! Your whole blog is a blast from the past for me - back to college genetics (which was one of my favourite courses) and the simple joys of crossing peas.
Good evening, I have put the photo of my tricot up. Here is the link encase you want to check it out:
http://veggiegardenblog.blogspot.com/
I'm glad you're finding the 'crossing peas' aspects interesting silverpebble. I didn't take biology - not even at school - it clashed with physics and chemistry. My University subject was geology and soil was considered to be the fluff on top of the rocks! I'm finding it interesting in later life though. I'm currently looking around for snap peas - this year's breeding projects are popping into my head.
I've already linked to your blog Dan - great to see what's going on in Canada.
Post a Comment