I had a good long digging session at the allotment yesterday. The area to the back left was dug a couple of weeks ago and now has a nice thick layer of leaves from the big trees in the churchyard behind the fence. The achocha was but a few crisps threads after the frosts and I pulled it down - must put another in next year, it has been such good value. I spread a bit of the good cow manure over as I dug so the bed should be nice and rich.
The left foreground still needs digging - it's the site of the bean wigwams - and you can just see the leaves of the Black Tuscany kale. A couple more sessions will see all the vacant land dug over. There are still crops there though and parsnips and leeks at home so fresh produce is still available.
Garden digging and clearing at home included the area where the hen house and run will be by next year.

7 comments:
Oooh I love a good digging session!
If only it would stay like that Michelle. I wonder how long before it's got a cover of weeds again?
Nothing like a bit of outdoor digging exercise! Why do people spend so much money on expensive gym memberships when they could just dig instead. I sometimes just clear the ground and put a thick layer of compost on the surface and let the worms do it over Winter!
Gosh, you're terribly good at this digging lark, aren't you? Want a job at Bag End? Half decent board and lodgings and a cold wet nose in your face first thing if you don't shut the bedroom door (that would be from Ollie, not your hostess [giggle]).
Go on, what do I have to do to persuade you - I am sure it would be like doing someone else's ironing - much easier when it is not your own!
Ah but what joy with planning what you are going to grow next year! Researching heritage plants etc and those tomato seeds from your own pollinations - will they grow true? I do envy you your energy - I can't manage to dig more that a square meter these dyas with out being exhausted for days after! But I can spend time in the garden sewing........ whatching the flowers grow!(grin)
Yes Matron - who needs a gym? There's still some of that much on the top - worms as under-gardeners - discuss!
Granny, I'm using the energy while I still have it. you only need a bout of one of those tummy bugs to wipe you out for a fortnight to realise how much you cappreciate your ooomph!
Bilbo - if you can guarantee a week of crisp weather in the spring I could come and help get your lawn stripped off for veg beds! Mind you, by then I'll be a poor old pensioner - and you'll be too embarrassed to ask me! (Maybe?)
"Go on.... I am sure it would be like doing someone else's ironing - much easier when it is not your own!"
I am thinking that Flum is not going to be fooled by that one, Bilbo! ;-)
Post a Comment